Monday, 20 October 2014

Exploring the "S" sound - FREE Printable

My daughter (4 years old) has been learning about the sound "S" through her everyday play. You can read more about a week of learning in the life of a four year old. Last week, I put together these Montessori inspired cards for her to learn with so I thought I would share them here along with some of the things I have learnt along the way.


In our learning room we have a large Jolly Phonics Letter Sound Poster (from Modern Teaching Aids) that hangs on our wall. Just as my son had done, my daughter uses this poster as a point of reference whenever she is curious about letters and wants to "write" them. When an interest in letters (sounds) first started, we listened to and sing along with the Jolly Phonics Jolly Songs CD. You can hear these songs on YouTube

So we had been singing the "S" song and doing our  action as we sang while finding all the letter S's we could that are around us. I made the mistake of printing off a letter "S" worksheet (WHAT?) thinking that my daughter might want to do it. But almost immediately, I saw my daughters enthusiasm for learning die! She had completely lost interest! I knew what I had done, falling back into the old "school at home" trick that I had previously learnt that it DON'T WORK! So I let it be. A few hours later, I found this beautiful row of magnetic letter S's all lined up neatly along our white board. This was my daughters way of telling me that she was going to direct her learning and this is how she wants to do it.


The following day, my daughter asked for some "S" sound cards that she could match up with her objects/toys. So I put together these cards to match the "S" sound items that she had collected.


My daughter started with the control cards (cards with the picture and word on them) and placed them down on the table. She matched up the picture cards to the control cards followed by the word cards. The objects were matched up to the cards. I had previously purchased our little figurines and objects from Mini Zoo so I made up the cards to match the objects that we already had.




Once the cards and objects are matched up, my daughter then chooses which control cards she would like to use to "build" or spell the words (from the card) using movable letters. This is seen in the pictures below.



Ideally, I would LOVE to have a wooden Montessori alphabet set but it is just not in my budget so I am working with what we have. We are using the Jolly Phonics Magnetic Letters from Modern Teaching Aids. If you would like a copy of the cards that we have used here, you can download them from here.


You may also be interested in my other printable sound cards so click here for Letter C, Letter D, Letter E and Letter X printables.

Follow me on:

This blog post has been linked up with:

19 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous printables!!! Thank you for sharing!! Pinned and shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and for sharing! I am glad you like them.

      Delete
  2. These are awesome! I've pinned them to share with others and am going to try this idea with my kiddo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fantastic! I hope your kids enjoy these printables. I would love for you to share a photo of how you use these cards over on my facebook page.

      Delete
  3. I love the way you've done the consonants in red and the vowels in blue - we have an alphabet set with the consonants and vowels differentiated like this too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! The different colours are so helpful for the early learner when they are starting to read.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I LOVE this post! I'm partial to Sunshine, do to my own little Sunshine. If you haven't already, I would LOVE for you to share this on my facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment (and encouragement!). I have shared this post over on your facebook page.

      Delete
  5. Love all these ideas and the free printable. Thank you. xo P

    ReplyDelete
  6. So clever and what a wonderful hands on way to learn! Thanks for the gorgeous printables

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Hands-on learning is such a great way to learn and understand the world around you. I hope you can use the printables.

      Delete
  7. My little girl has a curiosity of the letter 's'. Thanks for this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab! I love these ideas and the printable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun way to learn phonics – definitely beats boring worksheets!

    ReplyDelete