Sunday, 10 August 2014

Our DIY Outdoor Play Kitchen

I have been putting a lot of thought into our outdoor play area and came across the idea of the outdoor mud kitchen. So after searching pinterest and chatting with my husband, we came up with our DIY outdoor play kitchen.


We wanted to create a play area that was inviting, a place that allowed our children to be creative and to engage in imaginary play. We also wanted to create a place that was sheltered from the sun as it gets very hot here, in the Top End of Australia. We wanted to make this space out of recycled items that we already had.


We used wooden boards from an old bed and some more board from a old wooden draws that was apart of a chest-of-draws that we had already turned into a book shelf (what can I say, we have a lot of books!). Now, I can honestly say that I only helped with putting the screws in and bring the drinks of water as my husband was the master-mind behind all of this. He does come from with ten years of working as a carpenter so he was the perfect man for the job!


When it was finished, we started adding different materials to the kitchen. We had to keep in mind that we have a pet dog who loves to chew and destroy almost everything that is not metal. So we put lots of recycled kitchen pans and spoons, tins and tongs into the play kitchen.


My children started playing almost immediately and started adding different things to their kitchen, such as flowers, grass and play dough...all the essentials needed for imaginary play!


I love listening to my children as they played. I hear little conversations like "Thank you for coming to my restaurant for dinner" and "Please can you pass me the pancakes?" I also love seeing their little creations and imaginations hard at work.

Over the last few days, we have added in a little shelf on the bottom of the outdoor play kitchen to help  give more room for storing "cooking" items. We have also added more natural resources such as sticks, rocks, gum nuts and seed pods for play. My girls have also added a little pink paint just for some colour!




If you would like to see more play-based learning ideas, you can visit my Outdoor Play board on pinterest.

6 comments:

  1. Your kitchen is truely beautiful, and the sunshine beaming through within the photos look heavenly!!! As i type from down under here in nz cold and wintery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqui, Thank you for your lovely comment! This has been the warmest winter I have ever had so I can only imagine how cold an NZ winter gets!

      Delete
  2. I just found your blog. You have so many cool things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine love to cook and make potions outside and when we finally get to our new house the first thing I am going to build is an outdoor kitchen for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, potions!! It's such a great little place for them to get messy and play. Hope you get to build a little outdoor kitchen too.

      Delete