Thursday, 17 July 2014

Introducing Musical Symbols and Notes

When I was a child, I had piano lessons but after a few years, my parents let me quit as piano lessons did not work for me (I found it hard to read music) and piano theory was boring. It took two years and a wonderful inspiring adult in my life to ignite that desire in me to want to learn to play music. My own interest-led learning with music saw me teach myself how to play three different instruments, learn how to sight-read as well as play by ear.  I did end up continuing to learn music theory and completed a number of grades as this was something that I wanted to do and I did it when I was ready.

Nowadays, my husband and I fill our home with music and in doing this, we are modelling and encouraging the love of music in our children. My son has been working his way through his piano music book so to help him, I put together these three part cards as a hands-on way of learning music symbols and learning about notes and their value.


We used our Spielgaben set, that we had purchased, to encourage and support our children's learning through hands-on activities. Using the cards as a guide, my son built the notes as we talked about their value or how many beats each one represents. 


The other part of my cards have the same note but show the beat rather then the name. Matching them together and building the note again was a great way to see how much my son had remembered.


We also used these printable staffs to see what each note would look like on written music. You can download these printable staff sheets from Susan Paradis Piano Teaching Resources.


The cards also helped my son understand the different symbols that are used in written music such as the treble clef and the different rests that are used as well. 


You can download a free copy of my musical symbols and notes cards from clicking on this link.


If you would like to see some more ideas for learning about music, you can visit my pinterest board, Learning about Music.



  

3 comments:

  1. These are great thank you for sharing! I will print them, scan them, and make some changes because in Canada we use different terms for crotchet, semibreve etc, These are the best I've seen online! You've saved me a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I want to begin teaching my kids to read music this year.


    Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

    ReplyDelete