Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Polygons - Printables and Activity Ideas

When it comes to maths, we use the Targeting Maths curriculum as a guide to some of the math concepts we cover and what direction my sons maths learning can take. Recently, he completed a page or two in his maths book about polygons however, he needed further hands-on learning to grasp the concepts taught in that unit. So I put together the following printables and activities to help his learning.


What is a polygon
We started with looking at what was a polygon and what wasn't a polygon. We talked about the different features of a polygon such as it is a plain shape, has straight sides, all sides join up and are closed, and all angles are equal. I put together some printable cards for my son to sort and match then build the different polygons and non polygons using our spielgaben set we had purchased (the same activity can be done with paddle pop sticks).


Regular and Irregular Polygons
Once he understood what a polygon was, we started looking at regular and irregular shaped polygons. In doing this, we were able to see how the angles and sides were different with the irregular polygons as all angles are equal in regular polygons. We also saw that although all the sides joined up (closed), the irregular polygon sides were not all the same size where as the regular shaped polygon sides were all the same length. I put together these movable cards for my son to sort, match and build.


If you would like a copy of my printable cards, click on the link to download the Polygon regular/irregular Cards.


Many Sided Polygons
We then explored 2D polygons learning their names and how many sides they each had. We did this by using these Montessori inspired three part cards that I had made. My son loved using these cards as they are a great hands-on way for identifying and naming the shape.


We then used the control cards (the card with the picture and the word) as a guide to build and make each polygon. While doing this, my son was counting the number of sides, observing the angles of each shape, say the name of the shape and compare the shapes to each other.


If you would like to get a FREE copy of my polygon three part cards, click on the link to download Polygons - Three Part Cards.


If you would like to see more hands-on learning ideas, you can visit my Maths - Geometry board to see my hand picked ideas and other printables I've collected.


This blog has been linked up with:
http://livingmontessorinow.com/2014/06/09/montessori-monday-montessori-inspired-music-appreciation-my-name-is-handel/ Hip Homeschool Moms Reading Confetti TGIF Linky Party hosted by 123Homeschool4Me Montessori Nature

This blog was featured on:
Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop

4 comments:

  1. This is a great printable. Polygons can be a hard concept to grasp, but this idea will make it a lot easier!
    Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment and I will be sure to drop by again.

      Delete
  2. I loved your activity ideas! thank you for sharing at Kids Learning Printables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thank you for hosting the Kids Learning Printables!

      Delete